An SEO audit of a website is a back breaking exercise, involving going through hundreds of pages. This is a monotonous yet complicated process which demands a great deal of patience. SEO website audit tools make this work much easier. The manual checks are greatly reduced by the use of such tools.
That said, it is also important to keep in mind that no audit tool can provide you the perfect solution to improve your website’s performance. These tools can only give you a good start from where your website can progress to an impressive position.
To find out which these useful tools are, you don’t need to look all over the internet. You can refer to the list of 25 top tools below and select the one that works best for you.
1. Woorank :This tool is very useful for all categories of users. Webmasters, in-house SEO teams of enterprises, or large SEO companies – everyone can use this tool with great results. There are both free and paid versions of this tool. The tool will give you its most relevant recommendations for the websites you wish to audit, and these can also be easily downloaded as a PDF file or a PowerPoint presentation. These reports are mostly available in the paid versions of the tool. The paid versions start at less than $50 a month.
2. SEO Report Card : If you are looking for a quick audit of your website, you can choose this tool. It is brought to you by UpCity, which is well known as a good auditor for small companies. They also provide good options for larger agencies wanting to sell their products and services. This tool provides its results using more visuals and less text. You can assess your website on the following parameters using this tool – accessibility, trust, link building, rank analysis, on-site analysis and current indexing.
3. SEO Workers :This tool comes to you for free. It contains everything that you would need to make your digital marketing effective. You can use this tool to keep a regular check on the performance of your website. It provides analytical reports on several aspects of your website. You can check the effectiveness of your headers and titles, the keywords, anchor tags, URLs listed on the page and many others.
4. Web CEO : Although this tool lists all the issues located by it on your website, it doesn’t provide the parameters on which the checks were carried out. That’s why it is difficult to say to what extent the checking has been done. Although the audit is done pretty exhaustively, you won’t get the PDF results divided into categories. This tool is especially good for analyzing the quality of links, appropriateness of keywords and the quality of engagement on social media.
5. Web Gnomes : This tool has a list of 20 aspects which it checks on every website. When you use this free tool on your website, you get a report on all these 20 parameters. The 5 categories under which these 20 parameters are listed are : URL quality, content strength, ease of accessibility, and finally the 2 categories of HTML markup (head and body respectively).
6. Found : Digital marketers love this powerful auditing tool which efficiently lists all SEO errors on the website. The report this tool provides is on the three broad categories of Technical faults, Weak Content, and quality of external links. This report can be downloaded as a PDF file, which makes it easy to be shared with others involved in running the website.
7. Varvy : Webmasters prefer this tool because it handles very well and is not complicated at all. The output is color coded in green ticks, yellow exclamation marks and red crosses to demarcate those items on which the website is fine (green), or need some improvements (yellow) or are totally wrong (red).
8. ContentLook : The output on this audit tool is very detailed yet easy on the eye. The audit is done on 6 key parameters – traffic quality, depth of links, authority status of website, social engagement, quality of blogging, and overall SEO activities. Based on these 6 scores, the tool gives you an overall score. Not only the score and the report, but you also get helpful tips on how to improve your score. There are many helpful videos available along with the tool.
9. Seomator : There is a lightweight free version of this tool which can analyze any 50 pages of your website. You can use it as a starting point, to understand which aspects need immediate attention. You can do both on-page and off-page audit using this tool. Although the tool is free, but the charts provided in the reports are of very good quality. The reports can easily be exported to a PDF file.
10. Ravel : This tool is very businesslike, and uses its robust analytics to quickly highlight the numbers for your website against others who are best-in-class. The report of audit is accompanied by a detailed list of recommendations which can be quite handy. Technical issues including page speed and mobile responsiveness are covered, and so are business issues like online visibility.
11. SE Ranking : This tool does both things at once – it lists down the glaring technical errors, and also lists down the tasks that the webmaster needs to do so that those issues do not recur. You can depend on this tool’s comprehensive audit because it uses as many as 70 parameters to comb through your website. The output is then grouped under specific categories like Domain, Pages, Content, Images, Links, Mobile (responsiveness), Meta etc. Like most other tools, it allows the reports to be downloaded in ODF format.
12. Seoptimer : This tool gives immediate (instant) outputs regarding what are the critical areas of improvement for your website. It is a free tool which does the website auditing even better with Google Chrome extension. The corrections of the website can either be done real-time while the tool is running, or you can refer to the report later and work on each issue one by one.
13. Marketing Grader : This tool is brought to you by the well-known name Hubspot. This web based tool is not very easy to use owing to its complexity. It is a great tool for digital marketers because the website is not the only one it audits. It also looks at social media engagement, lead generation intensity, blog quality etc. This tool is useful for both amateurs who are just starting off and experts who are looking for detailed technical reports.
14. SEO Site Checkup : This tool carries out the audit of 6 different aspects, and uses as many as 45 checks for its audit. You can opt to have the audit report sent by email or download it directly as a PDF file. You can easily understand the critical issues highlighted by the report in an easy-to-understand format, and the tool also provides recommendation for actionables on your part.
15. Google Search Console : You can use this tool to get some really useful insights about indexation, markup, incomplete links and also page loading speed. Since it is brought to you by Google, it obviously provides some additional insights on things like SERP (search engine results page) clicks, ranking of the website and also number of impressions.
16. DeepCrawl : This tool can help you crawl through millions of web pages. You can do it manually or you can auto-schedule the crawling tasks. The schedule can be customized by laying down the different metrics you are looking for. This tool is great for a SEO team within an organization. Separate tasks can be allocated to employees, alerts can be sent regarding possible issues, track changes and also track website performance. This tool is really flexible, and can be very useful for running large marketing projects.
17. Wpromote : The unique property of this tool is the comparison it provides between your website and competitor websites. This comparison is not just for a particular keyword, but it provides a count of keywords for which your website ranks better than competitors. It is free of any charges, so there is no limit to the number of comparisons you can run.
18. Lipperhey : You can use this tool for on-page audit of your website. It covers the technical aspects, checks content for relevance and also assesses the engagement levels on different social media. Although it is not as well-known as some of the other tools on this list, you will find its clean user interface a delight to work with. It provides very detailed reports of every page on the website.
19. Alexa : This tool not only helps to identify issues on your website, but it also provides quick fixes for those issues. The reports are very detailed yet easy to understand. The issues are listed in decreasing order of priority, and the list is accompanied by easy steps to get them fixed.
20. DareBoost : This tool primarily focuses on the loading speed of every page of your website. Apart from that, this tool also has a daily monitoring feature and provides tips to improve website performance. These are provided in the free version, and for more detailed analysis, you have the option of choosing the paid version of the tool.
21. Moz Crawl Test : This tool is a web crawler which helps check status codes of HTTP, duplicate content, title tag quality, redirects and other critical issues in a website. You would be mailed separate reports for each page of the website.
22. Nibbler : This tool has both free as well as paid versions. The free version would audit only a limited number of webpages. You can check for spelling and grammar inside the content as well as broken links, if any. The most used keyword is highlighted by this tool. It also offers suggestions regarding other useful keywords. The report you get would tell you how easy your website is to access, how the user experience will be, technical details of the website and also how well you have propagated and marketing the website.
23. Screaming Frog : This tool is not an audit tool in the true sense of the world, it is actually a crawler. It mimics the trawling of search engines and tells you what issues your website might have with respect to search engines. There are more than 30 distinct parameters on which the assessment is done. You can easily use this tool if you need up to 500 webpages assessed. For larger websites, the response time of the tool might be less than satisfactory. Also, this tool is better for an individual to use rather than extended teams, because the collaborative features of this tool are not the best-in-class.
24. MySiteAuditor : This tool is perfect for a large SEO team to use. The tool’s algorithm is perfectly compatible with the algorithm used by Google. You can get the tool to audit specific web pages which you are apprehensive about, instead of having it assess the complete website. You have the option of either getting a PDF report immediately or having the report mailed to you.
25. Site Analyzer : This tool is free for up to 20 audits in one month. If you want to get more than that, you need to upgrade to the paid version of this tool. The assessment is done for as many as 50 parameters. Once the audit is completed, this tool also fixes those issues in real time. The audit is also followed by an overall score of the website. This tool has multilingual capabilities.
Any of these 25 tools can be used as part of your digital marketing campaign to rate your website against those of competitors. As you would have understood from the above reviews, you might not get all your answers from one tool, so you might need to use a combination of tools. You could start off with the free versions to find out which tool is best suited for your needs.